Candidate Policy 2020:
We are thankful for all the wonderful Democratic candidates who are committed to running in the 2020 election cycle. Since we know this cycle will invigorate more people to run than is typical, we have adopted a policy in LD-20 to ensure we provide equitable time to all candidates without adversely impacting our monthly meeting schedule. The facility in which we meet requires us to vacate the building no later than 9 p.m. so our meeting time is limited to 90 minutes. We thus normally adjourn about 8:30 p.m. to allow time for everyone to gather their things, sign petitions, etc.
Beginning with the May 2019 monthly meeting, our agenda will contain a line item towards the end of our meeting titled: “60-second Candidate Introductions,” where candidates can introduce themselves and the position they are running for not to exceed one minute. Upon entry to our meeting space, candidates are asked to place their name on our “Candidate Sign-Up Sheet” which will be used to moderate the speaking order; up to ten candidates may speak during this time at our meeting. Candidates can bring their nominating petitions, but may collect signatures only at the conclusion of our meeting. There are three caveats to this policy:
- This special line item does not apply to our LD-20 legislative candidates.
- Since LD-20 has already had one CD-6 candidate present to our group and to ensure fairness, we will treat all CD-6 candidates in the same manner during their initial presentation at one of our LD-20 meetings.
- Should a candidate wish to informally chat with our LD-20 meeting attendees before our meeting, they may do between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m.
The LD-20 Chair reserves the right to make additional limitations should the need arise.
We will be happy to forward campaign information in accordance with our “Policy for Disseminating information Electronically”, adopted by our LD on March 19, 2019.
Thanks for running.
Policy for LD-20 Facebook (FB) Presence:
Background: LD-20 maintains both a Closed Facebook Group (Arizona LD20 Dems) and an open Facebook page (Arizona LD20 Democrats or @LD20Democrats). Anyone can post to the open FB Page. We need to adopt criteria for:
- the content posted on our FB Page and FB Group
- admittance to the Closed FB group. Administrators are the only ones who can accept or deny requests for inclusion in the group.
Administrators of the Closed FB group are limited to: LD-20 Chair, 1st Vice Chair, Secretary; Social Media & Communications Committee Chairperson
Policy re: membership to Closed FB group: The following types of individuals will be allowed admittance into the Closed FB group:
- Democratic Precinct Committee-people (PCs) registered in LD-20 and in good standing for the current election cycle
- MCDP Executive Board Members
- MCDP Staff
- ADLCC Staff
- ADP Executive Board Members
- ADP Staff
- LD-20 House Democratic Candidates and their campaign manager
- LD-20 Senate Democratic Candidates and their campaign manager
- CD-6 or CD8 Democratic Candidates and their campaign managers
- US Senate (AZ) Democratic Candidates and their campaign manager
Policy re: removal of FB content on the open page and/or closed group: If FB content does not meet the criteria as stated in the “Policy for Disseminating Information Electronically”, it will be removed by the Administrators. Please be aware that while volunteer FB admins are responsible for moderating the pages, we cannot immediately review every comment posted on a page and take action on them.
Policy for Disseminating Information Electronically:
Background: LD-20 is asked by its Precinct Committeepeople (PC) and others to forward information which might be of interest to our LD-20 email lists. We need to define parameters for forwarding information. We should always encourage our PCs to post information to their FB page and to sign up for the closed FB group so that they can freely post in this forum.
There are at least 2 concerns regarding delivering this information:
- What is acceptable to disseminate?
- How much / how frequently should we disseminate this information until we have a formal newsletter?
Policy: Information must meet the following criteria:
- Content supports the mission and/or goals of LD-20
- Content supports the mission and/or goals of MCDP
- Content supports the mission and/or goals of ADP
- Content must not be vulgar, obscene, or deemed offensive (including, but not limited to defamation or hate speech)
- Content must not threaten to harm individuals, groups, or organizations
- Content must not be forwarded via email if the purpose of the information is for the promotion of any primary candidate. However, we will include candidate information in our newsletters.
- When in doubt, seek out guidance from the LD-20 Chair or 1st Vice Chair