Where did all of the time go? Two years ago, we were an LD with 50 PCs and many of these members were new to the political world. When I was elected Chair, who would’ve thought our LD would be in the spotlight? As we look back at the last two years, we have had a good time while also working hard to move the needle. Let’s take a walk down memory lane:
- We had our first ever Decadent Desserts and Fine Arts fundraiser where not only did we raise the most money ever for an LD20 event, but we also had our US Senator-elect Mark Kelly attend our event
- We participated in Voter Registration events at GCC, PCVV, and North Mountain Visitor’s Center
- We started the trend with BLM / Vote Protest Caravans and had three of these events in 2020
- We had fun during our 2019 holiday party where some lucky participants could claim bragging rights in the area of knowing the most about our LD with a trivia contest
- We had a Paint Night fundraiser and had three Happy Hour events utilizing local businesses
- We put in many hours at Desert Mission Food Bank and collected hundreds of pounds of food during our LD meetings
- COVID-19 only made us think outside of the box where we had Virtual Candidate Coffee events giving all a chance to ask questions of a range of candidates from US Congress to local school boards
During our last official meeting of the calendar year, let’s get together and enjoy each other virtually – the details of the meeting can be found at the end of the newsletter. We sent out detailed instructions to all elected PCs regarding the process on Saturday. If you didn't receive it, please contact Rivko Knox. I’m very happy to have been a part of making history for LD20 as is the entire executive team. It’ll be great to see everyone on Tuesday evening – don’t miss it.
RECYCLE THOSE YARD SIGNS and OTHER SUGGESTIONS
- Keep your Mark Kelly signs. He's just won the right to complete John McCain's term which ends in 2022.
- You can take your yard signs to B&L Polymer Processing located at 4330 N 39th Ave., Phoenix. You can reach them by phone at 602.415.9229. Their web address is blpolymer.com. If you'd prefer to email them, use [email protected].
- You could repurpose your signs into clip boards by cutting them to size and adding a big binder clip at one end.
Support Black-Owned restaurants
There are more than 50 Black-owned restaurants in the Phoenix area. Check them out!
Donate to Farmworkers:
The Adelante Healthcare Farmworker Outreach Program is requesting donations of toiletries for those people working in the fields to harvest our food. You can drop off donations M-F from 9am-5pm at the Adelante Center Support Office, 3033 N. Central Ave. Suite 145, Phoenix. The donations they are seeking include: sunscreen, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip protectant (chap stick), razors, deodorant, and body soap. The contact is Elena Cañez, 480 721-4825.
Non profits needing our help:
- St. Mary’s Food Bank needs help with Emergency Food Box Packing and their annual Turkey Distribution. Visit https://volunteer.firstfoodbank.org/search
- Visit Hands On Greater Phoenix for several opportunities where you can help our neighbors throughout the metro Phoenix area. www.handsonphoenix.org
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for foster children. Visit: https://www.azcourts.gov/CASA
Help with GA and their Senate races:
Sign-up today to help GA with their US Senate races. Early voting in Georgia starts December 14th and the runoff is January 5th. That doesn’t give us a lot of time. There are two organizations who are helping out: FliptheWest and GA Dems. Can you help write postcards? https://www.mobilize.us/flipthewest/event/362341/ Phone bank? https://www.mobilize.us/flipthewest/event/362350/
And here’s the GA Dems link for helping out: https://www.mobilize.us/georgiademocrats/event/362919/
EVENTS & MISCELLANEOUS
11/17 – Last LD20 Monthly meeting of 2020 – 7-8:30pm – see below for details
12/19 – MCDP Winter Convention – meeting begins: 1pm. This is the meeting where we will vote on our county executive board, and more! Registration begins: 11/12. Must sign-up to participate.
01/23 – ADP Winter Convention / Statewide Re-Organization meeting This is the meeting where we will vote on our state-wide executive board, and more! More details forthcoming.
Consider using this time to learn about the Request to Speak (RTS) system. After you get an account, you can provide feedback on bills submitted at the next legislative session. There are many sources for this information. Here’s a couple of them: https://www.pafcoalition.org/request-to-speak-systems and https://www.cebv.us/rts.html
Or, avail yourself of the training available through the state party. Wanted to learn more about a topic? Sign-up for courses at: https://academy.azdem.org/
NEXT LD-20 COMMUNITY MEETING
Please consider a small recurring donation to your LD-20!